Apple Butter Glazed Chicken is a moist, tender chicken with a rich apple butter glaze. Apple Butter flavors are reminiscent of the autumn. The glaze has a smokey, slightly sweet flavor. I like quick and easy dishes to prepare and this one is sure quick and easy! Apple butter is mixed with some spices then poured over the chicken for baking. It doesn't get much easier or faster than that!
The apple butter glaze has cumin in it, which is one of my favorite flavors. Cumin is earthy, smokey and woody. It is one of the main flavors in taco seasoning. Apple butter has an intense apple flavor coupled with sugar and cinnamon. The blending of the smokey, earthy cumin with the slightly sweet apple and cinnamon flavors make a flavorful glaze.
I found this Apple Butter Glazed Chicken recipe on the Five Dollar Dinners site. Making a dinner for $5 or less is definitely a plus. The original recipe used onion powder and garlic powder. I prefer granulated onion and granulated garlic, so I substituted those spices. The flavors seem stronger to me and the powdered spices are too powdery for me.
This dish will pair well with rice, steamed vegetables or salad. Homemade bread or rolls will also make a nice pairing. I don't recommend any side dish that is sweet, like glazed carrots.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze the chicken. I often freeze leftovers in single serve lunch containers so that Jeff has a lunch to take to work with him. I'll include a protein and side dishes in the lunch. Jeff will reheat the lunch in the microwave at work. We sometimes have leftovers for dinner, but I usually don't freeze what we will have as leftovers for dinner.
I hope you enjoy the Apple Butter Glazed Chicken!
Apple Butter Glazed Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a casserole dish large enough to hold the chicken with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Salt and pepper the chicken. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the apple butter, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin until mixed well.
- Pour the apple butter mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven 40-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.