Apple Butter Crumble Cake is made up of layers of cake, apple butter, oatmeal crumble and a powdered sugar glaze. This cake is good served as a dessert or a breakfast treat. The cake is mildly sweet without the powdered sugar glaze. The powdered sugar glaze adds a little sweetness to the cake. Apple Butter Crumble Cake is good with or without the powdered sugar glaze.
The flavors of this cake remind me of the fall. This cake is good served anytime of the year, but would make a nice addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
Occasionally, I like to enjoy a breakfast treat and this cake is pairs well with a hot cup of tea. It also makes a satisfying afternoon snack treat!
I wanted to find some recipes that used Apple Butter and ran across this Apple Butter Crumble Cake recipe. It looked and sounded good, so I thought I would try it. It's a moist cake. I altered it slightly so that it is dairy-free. I also baked it longer than the original recipe states. It could be an oven difference.
The original recipe recommends cutting the cake into squares before drizzling with powdered sugar glaze so that the glaze goes down the sides of each piece.
The recipe makes a large cake. It's more than we could eat so I tried freezing some of the slices before they were glazed. The cake does freeze well. I freeze the cake as single pieces then thaw overnight on the counter when I want to serve the cake.
Because this cake makes 30 servings, it would be good to take to a potluck or serve at a party.
I hope you enjoy Apple Butter Crumble Cake!
Apple Butter Crumble Cake
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup Apple Butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 15x10 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until the mixture resembles sand. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the softened vegan butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan.
- Spoon the apple butter over the top of the dough evenly, leaving about a one-inch border all around.
- Sprinkle the oatmeal mixture over the apple butter.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, cut into 30-bars.
- Remove from pan and place on a serving platter.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and water until a thick glaze forms.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake squares.
- Let stand until the glazes firms up a bit.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019