Apple Butter Bacon Wrapped Shrimp are a little sweet and a little salty. Shrimp are wrapped in cooked bacon, then basted with an apple butter glaze and baked for about 10-minutes. Mouthwatering! The sweet glaze pairs well with the salty bacon. They are quick and easy to make, too!
Shrimp and bacon are a winning combination but the addition of the apple butter glaze just pushes them over the top. This protein will definitely be the star of the meal and can be paired with practically any side dish; such as a hearty brown or light white rice, seasonal vegetables, or even a nice lemon orzo or couscous. One suggestion is to avoid a sweet side like glazed carrots.
I came across this recipe on the Nutmeg Nanny site. The original recipe uses extra large shrimp. I keep medium shrimp in my freezer, so I used medium shrimp. Smaller shrimp means more shrimp, and more bacon. Because I used smaller shrimp than the original recipe, I cut the bacon in half so that it wrapped around the shrimp one time. The original recipe called for 6-extra large shrimp and 6-slices of bacon. I used 20-medium shrimp and 10-slices of bacon.
The glaze smells so good while it is cooking down. It has a scent that reminds me of the fall. I used a basting brush to brush each shrimp with the sweet glaze. The glaze adds a sticky, sweetness to the bacon and shrimp. Once you make it, be prepared for it to become a regular request from others.
Toothpicks are used to hold the bacon around the shrimp. When plating, you can leave the toothpicks in place, just make sure they are obvious or tell your guests to avoid any issues. Or you can gently pull them out before serving. Between the glaze and the additional cooking of the bacon while baking, the bacon should stay wrapped around the shrimp.
I hope you enjoy the Apple Butter Bacon Wrapped Shrimp!
Apple Butter Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 10 pieces bacon
- 20 medium shrimp
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Spray a baking sheet or large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together apple butter, maple syrup, red pepper flakes, salt and paprika.
- Heat over medium heat until mixture is thick and cooked down by about half. Keep warm.
- Cut the bacon in half so that you have 20 pieces of bacon.
- Fry the bacon until it is browned but still flexible.
- Drain the bacon on a paper toweled lined plate.
- Wrap each shrimp with one piece of bacon, secure with a toothpick and place on the prepared baking sheet or casserole dish.
- Baste each shrimp with the apple butter mixture.
- Bake for about 5 minutes then flip over each shrimp and baste with more apple butter mixture.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes or until the shrimp is done.
Last updated on August 15th, 2019